House Fire Takes the Life of Johnson County Youth

From the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office… The department responded to a fatal fire on Forest Service Road 1450 at 12:02 a.m. this morning. An eleven (11) year old boy died in the fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene by a Johnson County Deputy Coroner. His father was critically injured with severe burns. His mother was also burnt. Both of them were transported to UAMS in Little Rock by helicopter. His six year old sister was also severely burnt and was taken by helicopter to Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.

According to the next door neighbor, he was awaken by the neighbor that stated that his house was on fire and that his son was still trapped in the residence. The neighbor and the Dad returned to the residence and placed a ladder up to the bedroom window. The fire was so intense that the neighbor could not gain entry into the residence.

The fire was responded to by members of Rural Fire Department 2, RFD #8, the United States Forest Service, Johnson County Ambulance Service, Franklin County Ambulance Service, Office of Emergency Management and members of the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office. Initial investigation indicates that the fire started around the wood stove located in the center of the residence.